Today Formby residents have the opportunity to cast their vote in the first election for a Police and Crime Commissioner. The person elected will replace The Police Authority, which consisted of locally elected Councillors and others. The Councillors were chosen by the leadership of the constituent local Councils like Sefton etc. The public had no say in that process, membership of Police Authorities was determined in private meetings by local Party Politicians.
There are six candidates in todays election:
- Jane Kennedy (Labour candidate)
- Geoff Gubb (Conservative candidate)
- Paula Keaveney (Liberal Democrat candidate)
- Paul Rimmer (English Democrats candidate)
- Kiron Reid (Independent candidate)
- Hilary Jones (UKIP candidate)
The Polling Stations are open from 7am to 10pm.
More information about the candidates is available here: http://policecrimecommissioner.co.uk/Merseyside