Formby Parish Council wants your views on the proposal it should change it's name.
Recently Parish Council members were asked to consider the following suggestion from a local resident1
That Formby Parish Council formally consider adopting a title change from Parish to Town Council.
The following reasons were given in the accompanying letter of support for the proposed change.
The reasons are set out briefly below:
- The public still associate the Parish Council with local Churches. Changing the name will break that mistaken association.
- It will emphasise the most immediate accessible and accountable civic local Government in Formby is The Town Council.
- At a time when Sefton Council is increasingly unpopular it's an opportunity to renew local interest in Democracy.
- With the introduction of Liverpool City Region it will emphasise that Formby is a very significant Town that has unique qualities that deserve and demand attention in their own right.
- This is the right time to make the change. The new Council is setting its first precept and the change helps to reinforce the Town’s new ambitions and plans.
- It's an opportunity to consider the repatriation of some or all of the Formby Urban District Council powers ceded to Sefton in 1974.
- Most older residents have an affection for our previous 'Council' and would welcome ‘going back to the past’.
- Newer and younger residents will feel that at last they have a 'proper' local Council of their own.
- Returning to Town status will recapture the long history of local Government in Formby, from its formation as a Parish Council around 1895, followed by its transformation into an Urban District Council some 10 years later.
- Finally, it chimes with the growing popularity of the localism movement, local shopping, local control, accessibility, local markets and a general resistance to remote decision making about local lives.
Editorial Note1: For the purposes of openness and accountability.
I am the author of the letter. As a former member and chair of FPC and also chair of the Association of Sefton Town and Parish Councils, the title change, in my experience, will help strengthen local pride and involvement in community life