- To encourage and increase food growing in gardens in Formby
- To set up a demonstration plot on the grounds of Formby Swimming Pool
- To recruit interested residents and form an association to manage the project and promote sustainability and Transition Initiative values
- To form and use neighbourhood groups to roll out and promote garden based food production
- To conduct a survey of existing local garden food production and seek to identify and use the local wisdom associated with that knowledge
- To cooperate with members of the Formby Allotment Association and other local Associations and Organisations
- To promote a local version of Land Share scheme
- To promote a wider interest in food consumption and support local food production
- To celebrate and promote Formby Asparagus
Formby Edible Gardens is a collaborative project involving local residents in Formby working for a more sustainable future. The project seeks to increase the general resilience of Formby given Peak Oil, Climate Change and Food Security.
At a time of crisis in public funding and a demand for more localism the project seeks to rekindle a stronger sense of community. To improve the social, cultural and local economic life of Formby.
The projects seeks to focus on an existing and growing interest in 'growing your own' to reskill young and old alike.
A demonstration plot will provide examples of small-scale but efficient ways of growing food in a small space. It will provide advice and support for local and other residents who want to grow food in their own gardens. It hopes to establish small neighbourhood groups throughout Formby to promote food growing Finally it intends to stimulate an increased awareness of the benefits of healthy eating and to promote local food production and consumption.