It's May Day

May Day

Today is May Day and also the annual meeting day of Formby Parish Council.

The Annual Meeting of the Formby Parish Council will be held at Formby Library, Duke Street, Formby on Tuesday 1 May 2018 at 7pm.

All members of the Council are hereby summoned to attend for the purpose of considering and resolving upon the business to be transacted at the Meeting as set out hereunder. 

Claire Jenkins
Clerk to Formby Parish Council

Agenda 

1.0 To elect a Chairman for 2018-19, who will then sign the “Declaration of Acceptance of Office”

2.0 To elect a Vice Chairman 2018-19, who will then sign the “Declaration of Acceptance of Office”

3.0 To receive apologies for absence

4.0 To receive declarations of interest

5.0 Public Forum (the meeting will be adjourned for this item) 

6.0 To consider and approve the Minutes of the Meeting held on 3 April 2018 – (enclosed) 

7.0 Matters of Report from Previous Meeting – for information only 

8.0 To receive the retiring Chairman’s Annual Report

9.0 To appoint representatives to the following:

Central Sefton Area Committee
Sefton Rights of Way Group
Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group
Beachsafe 2018 

10.0 To agree Cllrs roles in respect of:·   

Finance Group·   
General Projects Group·   
Environment Group
Planning

11.0 To resolve that the Council meets the criteria set out by the Secretary of State in Parish Councils (General Power of Competence) (Prescribed Conditions) Order 2012. Note - At the time of the resolution the number of councillors elected at the last election, or subsequent by-election must equal or exceed two thirds of the total seats; the Clerk must hold one of two sector-specific qualifications: CiLCA or the level Four qualification from the University of Gloucestershire  and must have passed section 7 of CiLCA if pre 2012.The Council must confirm its eligibility at every annual meeting after ordinary elections. 

12.0 Annual Return

12.1 To approve the annual governance statement section 1 (enclosed)

12.2 To approve the accounting statements section 2 (enclosed)                                                                   

13.0 Planning Applications – Sefton’s weekly list email, also available on Sefton Council’s website. 

14.0 To discuss and resolve the following:

14.1 To determine whether the market should return for 20181
14.2 To approve the Neighbourhood Plan for submission to Sefton for the 2nd stage consultation
14.3 To approve the dates for the Annual Calendar of Meetings 2018-19 (enclosed)
14.4 To approve the Investment Strategy as detailed in the Finance Minutes
14.5 To approve the renewal of the Insurance as per the Clerk’s report. 

15.0 To authorise Payments (enclosed) 

16.0 To receive the following reports – enclosed for information only   

Clerk’s report       
Environment Group minutes       
General Projects Group minutes       
Finance Group minutes 

17.0 Date of Next Meeting – Tuesday 5 June 2018 to be held in the Meeting Room, Formby Library at 7pm 

Members of the press and public are cordially invited to attend


Formby Parish Council Election

At the forthcoming local elections, residents of Harington Ward get the opportunity to exercise an extra vote. Following the recent resignation of Cllr Mike Coles, the Parish Council is seeking a replacement

Ballot box
Some candidates have been proposed, and their details are shown below. 

Candidate

Home Address

Description (if any)

Name of Proposer

Reason why no longer nominated*

MCCANN

Susan

49 Hawksworth Drive, Formby, Liverpool, L37 7EY

Formby Residents Action Group

Bennett

Maria

 

MULROONEY

Siobhan Marie

19 Derby Road, Formby, L37 7BN

Conservative Party Candidate

Dutton

Denise

 

RICHARDS

Carol Ann

Asparagus Cottage, St. Lukes Church Rd, Formby, L37 2DF

Labour Party

Whiteside

Anita

 

*Decision of the Returning Officer that the nomination is invalid or other reason why a person nominated no longer stands nominated.

I don't know about you; I'm looking for someone who proposes new definite ideas to take Formby forward, rather than a candidate who bases their campaign on the failures of the others or their parties. 

We live in hope.

 


Formby Village Market Decision Day

Formby Parish Councillors attended the customary monthly meeting on Tuesday evening at 7.00pm in the Formby Library. The meeting agenda was full but included a number of important decisions including the future of the Formby Village Market and the tree stump left in the village following the tree felling. 

Market Stall
The Good Wool Shop Stall 2017

A copy of the full agenda is available via the link at the bottom of the page. It's well worth reading in its entirety, particularly the group reports which include details of discussions on other matters such as the Neighbourhood Plan and the proposal for support for the Formby Academy School Sports Facility.

Agenda

1.0 To receive Apologies

2.0 To Receive Declarations of Interest

3.0 Public Forum (the meeting will be adjourned for this item)

4.0 Previous Minutes

4.1 To consider and approve the Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 6 March 2018.

6.0 Matters of Report from Previous Meeting – for information only

7.0 Planning Applications – Sefton’s weekly list email, also available on Sefton Council’s website.

7.1 To note current position on Formby Development Sites in Sefton’s Local Plan.

8.0 To discuss and resolve the following:

8.1 To discuss the results of the survey on the Formby Market

8.2 To decide whether to support the return of the Formby Market in 2018

8.3 To approve the purchase of litter picking equipment up to a value of £150 to support the volunteers at beach cleaning events

8.4 To agree in principle for Sefton Council to start negotiations with landowners as a potential precursor to the drafting of legally binding agreements with landowners in relation to (and without prejudice to) the application for the modification of rights of way submitted on August 2017. 

8.5 To consider the parish council’s membership of the Sefton Area Partnership of local Councils

8.6 To consider whether to appoint a new representative for the SAPLC

8.7 To decide whether to request that Sefton Council remove the tree stump remaining in the village prior to any artistic remodelling and relocation.

8.8 To consider whether to contract with the Local Council Advisory Service for the Data Protection Officer services at a cost of £150 per annum.

9.0 To authorise Payments (enclosed)

10.0 Chairman’s Report

11.0 To receive a report on the Draft Neighbourhood Plan

12.0 To receive the following reports – enclosed for information only

            Clerk’s report

            General Projects Group minutes

            Environment Group minutes

            Finance Group minutes

13.0 Date of Next Ordinary and Annual Meeting – Tuesday 1 May 2018 to be held in the Meeting Room, Formby Library at 7pm

Members of the press and public are welcome to attend

Full agenda and minutes

 


Village Trees Statement

'Sadly we cannot stop age and time taking its toll, but we can provide the funds for healthy replacements, and ensure that future generations will benefit from their presence, as we have in the past'

Chairman of the Formby Parish Council

image from www.formby.todayHorse Chestnut trees have been part of our Village and a feature of Chapel Lane for almost 100 years and it is extremely difficult to know how to break the news they finally have to be removed.

The Tree and Woodland Team at Sefton Council have been monitoring their condition for a long time now and for the past year, they have watched very carefully, as the images taken in August show. Residents will have noticed that the leaves began to fall at the end of July when they showed severe ‘distress’. The conclusion has been reached that because of their age, health and structural condition they should be cut down and replaced.

It is the responsibility of the Sefton Council to keep us safe from dead branches falling on to pedestrians or causing damage to properties close by and the recent bad weather has given greater concern.

In recent years the Parish and Ward Councillors have provided funding for new trees, and last year six were replaced on the corner with Halsall and Three Tuns Lanes.

The Parish Council has therefore set aside more funds to replace all five as soon as the conditions are right in the New Year.

After their monthly meeting, the Chairman of the Parish Council reported that, sadly we cannot stop age and time taking its toll, but we can provide the funds for healthy replacements, and ensure that future generations will benefit from their presence, as we have in the past.

The trees have been there for a very long time, they were once in front gardens and so the contractors will have a delicate job removing the old roots, preparing pits deep enough for the new ones and making sure we don’t disturb any services underground.

A spokesman for Sefton Council said:

“The trees identified for removal have been showing signs of decline in recent years and if left will pose an unacceptable Health and Safety Risk to users of the highway. The tree works will be undertaken in the New Year and new planting will follow. Leaflets will be sent out to businesses and residents directly affected by the works in due course and we will be in constant dialogue with Formby Parish Council.”

The appropriate public notices will be prepared and we do hope residents will understand and support the plan.

(Source: Formby Parish Council website, accessed 29 January 2018 in 'Latest News' extract from the minutes 5 December included below)

93.0 To discuss and approve the following:

93.1 To approve expenditure for replacement trees.

Cllrs considered the motion and agreed to amend the amount to £4000.

It was resolved to approve expenditure of £4000 for replacement trees, to include 5 trees on Chapel Lane.
(Presumably in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman, Cllr M Bennet presided) 
Members in attendance : Maria Bennett (Vice-Chairman), Derek Baxter, Dawn Brodie, Roy Broadbent, Bob McCann, Dave Irving, Bernie Prescott. Frank Stinner. Paul Wiencke.
Absent members: Cllrs Coles, Dutton, Hearn, Peace, Price, and Williams.

Note: The observant may notice that it appears that the meeting was attended by the predominantly Fragoff group, while Conservative members and one independent were absent.

 

 


Sefton Council Meeting Will Debate Formby Fracking

Sefton Council members will discuss the proposed Fracking operations around Formby at its next meeting on Thursday 25 January.

Fracking zonesFollowing a vigorous campaign by Frack Free Formby in a variety of media, including social media, enough members of the public have forced the issue onto the Council agenda. In accordance with the Council's standing orders, the following petition will be subject to a debate.

PUBLIC PETITION -

In accordance with the Council’s Petition Scheme set out in Chapter 12 of the Council Constitution, a public petition has been submitted for consideration at the Council meeting.

The lead petitioner for the petition deputation will be given five minutes to present the petition at the Council meeting and the petition will then be discussed by Councillors for a maximum of 15 minutes. The Council will decide how to respond to the petition at the meeting and the lead petitioner will receive written confirmation of the decision.

The petition containing 3608 signatures has been submitted by Simon Maxwell of Formby on behalf of Frack Free Formby which states:

“We the undersigned urge Sefton MBC to put an immediate ban on any type of conventional or unconventional oil or gas exploration to protect our environment and promote renewable energy. We urge the Council to make Sefton a frack-free zone”.

In addition to this petition, the Council will consider a number of items and a further five resolutions tabled by individual members of Council. The headline topics for each of the other motions are listed below.

  1. Fracking
  2. An Integrated Care and Health Service
  3. Period Poverty
  4. Antisemitic Hate Crime
  5. A Curriculum to Prepare Young People in Sefton for Life

To view the full agenda:
http://modgov.sefton.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=143&MId=8943